INTERIOR DESIGNERS VS. INTERIOR DECORATORS (Misconception & Correction)

Moderator: Mansa

Maclatunji
Site Admin

Re: INTERIOR DESIGNERS VS. INTERIOR DECORATORS (Misconception & Correction)

Post by Maclatunji »

The topic remains educative but I suspect Nigerians expect the Architect to do the work of the Interior Designer, what do you think about this?
Send your articles for publication on via contact@opinions.ng.

My personal blog is Coolstuff49ja

Follow me on Twitter @maclatunji

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

Maclatunji wrote:The topic remains educative but I suspect Nigerians expect the Architect to do the work of the Interior Designer, what do you think about this?

I will deal with this question from two perspectives:
(i) From the view of a contractor/professional.
(ii) From the pespective of a client.

(I) Building industry is growing day by day in every part of the world, Nigeria included. Thanks to the professionals who go a long way in promoting the industry through their expertise and excellent services.

A contractor who is conscious of every detail in building would not take a chance to merge the task of a Building Architect with that of an Interior Designer. Truth be told, the best outcome of a sophisticated building project will involve an Architect, Interior Designer and Home builder.

while the Architect designs and draws the plan for the exterior and interior construction of a building, the Interior Designer designs and also draws plan for the interior of a building, with more obligation of balancing functionality with beauty; while managing, remodelling and restructuring the available space. (Space management)

In the recent time in Nigeria, a contractor who is keen about building an elegant edifice with purposeful interior and beautiful exterior (paint, artwork etc) , would separately hire the service of an Interior Designer or big architecture firm that has an Interior Designer as a consultant or freelancer.

(II) From the perspective of a client; discerning homeowners who care more about the behavioural styles, ergonomic and aesthetic;and ease of movement for the occupants of a space would hire beyond the expertise of an Architect; this is where the Interior Designer is needed.

It is the duty of these professionals ( Interior Designers) to enlighten potential clients and general public on similarities and difference between Architect and Interior Designer, and to convince them on why their jobs should not be submerged.

That is why I am also writing this long story... lol :D
Follow me on Twitter: @AbiodunMBStreet

Maclatunji
Site Admin

Post by Maclatunji »

Aquila Azzurri wrote:
Maclatunji wrote:The topic remains educative but I suspect Nigerians expect the Architect to do the work of the Interior Designer, what do you think about this?

I will deal with this question from two perspectives:
(i) From the view of a contractor/professional.
(ii) From the pespective of a client.

(I) Building industry is growing day by day in every part of the world, Nigeria included. Thanks to the professionals who go a long way in promoting the industry through their expertise and excellent services.

A contractor who is conscious of every detail in building would not take a chance to merge the task of a Building Architect with that of an Interior Designer. Truth be told, the best outcome of a sophisticated building project will involve an Architect, Interior Designer and Home builder.

while the Architect designs and draws the plan for the exterior and interior construction of a building, the Interior Designer designs and also draws plan for the interior of a building, with more obligation of balancing functionality with beauty; while managing, remodelling and restructuring the available space. (Space management)

In the recent time in Nigeria, a contractor who is keen about building an elegant edifice with purposeful interior and beautiful exterior (paint, artwork etc) , would separately hire the service of an Interior Designer or big architecture firm that has an Interior Designer as a consultant or freelancer.

(II) From the perspective of a client; discerning homeowners who care more about the behavioural styles, ergonomic and aesthetic;and ease of movement for the occupants of a space would hire beyond the expertise of an Architect; this is where the Interior Designer is needed.

It is the duty of these professionals ( Interior Designers) to enlighten potential clients and general public on similarities and difference between Architect and Interior Designer, and to convince them on why their jobs should not be submerged.

That is why I am also writing this long story... lol :D
A very detailed explanation, thanks. However, the truth is the additional cost would dissuade most people from bothering about an Interior Designer.
Send your articles for publication on via contact@opinions.ng.

My personal blog is Coolstuff49ja

Follow me on Twitter @maclatunji

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

@MacLatunji
You are right. However, this notion is changing with time;particularly from the view of those who understand and appreciate every detail in architecture. They wouldn't make the mistake of submerging building architure service with Interior planning & design; they would see the cost of Interior Planning and design as a one time cost to incur to avoid recurring expenses when things are not done right.

Having said that, the area of the industry is emerging in Nigeria. Therefore, professionals need to enlighten people and promote the sector; while it is also important for them to carve a niche for themselves in the profession.
Follow me on Twitter: @AbiodunMBStreet

Return to “Interior Designers and Decorators”