INTERIOR DESIGNERS VS. INTERIOR DECORATORS (Misconception & Correction)

Moderator: Mansa

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

INTERIOR DESIGNERS VS. INTERIOR DECORATORS (Misconception & Correction)

Post by Mansa »

IMG_2555.JPG
IMG_2555.JPG (231.38 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Interior Design and Interior Decoration are two separate professions that have been used interchangeably by people outside the industry, but there are a lot of differences and just one or two similarities between the two. It would be unfair if I do not explain the meaning of these two words before I make my judgement.

Interior design is an art and science of studying human behaviour, and creating an ergonomic and aesthetic space for a specific function. The process involves architecture and spatial planning ( as a matter of fact, the profession is sometimes referred to as Interior Archiecture in some European countries) from sketching/hand drawing, geometric drawing, CAD drawing (Computer Aided Design), selection of style and theme, designing of material, fabric, furniture and accessories.

On the other hand, Interior Decoration is the process of beautifying an already designed space, by applying colours, fabrics and furniture materials.

There are some factors that make people use the two words interchangeably. The first is that interior design as a profession is not so popular in Nigeria, unlike interior decoration that has been around for sometime now. Therefore, whenever average Nigerian hear the word interior, s/he tends to complete it up with 'design' or 'decoration' :D but I would not blame anyone, until professionals in the industry begin to educate more people about the differences. Sometimes, even decorators call themselves designers.

Furthermore, there is no recognized institution of higher learning offering Interior Design as a full diploma or degree course in Nigeria, unlike Europe, North America,Australasia etc. where the course is available up to doctorate degree and professional certification level.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of factors that separate the two professions; education and intervention in a project are key factors in this case.

I want to believe the differences are becoming clearer to you now. I do not want to make this conversation one-sided. I would have to pause here to know how many people are following, before I commence with further explanation and enlightenment in this industry.

Ciao!
Last edited by Mansa on Fri May 12, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter: @AbiodunMBStreet

Maclatunji
Site Admin

Re: INTERIOR DESIGNERS VS. INTERIOR DECORATORS (Misconception & Correction)

Post by Maclatunji »

A nice one my brother. Can I publish this on Opinions.ng?
Send your articles for publication on via contact@opinions.ng.

My personal blog is Coolstuff49ja

Follow me on Twitter @maclatunji

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

It is a free world. I have a tagline on my website ...knowledge through experience! Go ahead bro, let us learn from ourselves. :)

Wisespend
Probation
Probation

Post by Wisespend »

I love this

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

Wisespend wrote:I love this
Thank you. Are you a professional in the industry or one of our big clients? :D Whichever one, keep a tab on this thread.

Jarus
Site Admin

Post by Jarus »

This is educative.

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

Jarus wrote:This is educative.
Thank you.

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

No, I have not forgotten that I have a thread here. :D I noticed that the number of visitors to this thread has increased, which is good. As I said earlier, I would not like the conversation to be one sided, hence I await more response on this topic before I commence with the topic.

Even if you are not a professional of this industry, as an outsider, you are our potential client and you deserve to know how we operate to bring the best design, product, functionality and aesthetic to your space.

We are also going to be sharing educational tip and advice here, for those who wish to get formal education and become an authority in the industry.

We don't design space, we make dreams reality.

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

One more post from new followers here, I will revive this thread. There is a lot to learn here, please let's make it lively. :)

Mansa
Senior Hot Officer
Senior Hot Officer

Post by Mansa »

Okay! Let me continue from where I left, if you as a reader prefer to be good listener (reader) than a speaker (commentator) though it could have been more interesting if we make the post a conversation of two sides.

However, I would continue this post with simple highlights to make the reading easier for you.

...Interior Designer vs. Interior Decorator

EDUCATION: Formal education is required in the building, construction and design industry to become an Interior Designer (Interior Architect); to become an Interior Decorator vocational skill and training is what is necessary.

PROJECT INTERVENTION: Interior Designer is involved in building and design of a space from the beginning of the project. On the other hand, a Decorator comes in when a space had already being built.

TASK: A designer has skills and knowledge in all areas of design which includes space management, building code and regulations, human behaviour, decoration etc. Interior designer can design a space and also recommend and supply decorating accessories like furniture, ornament,paint etc.

Meanwhile, a Decorator's task is limited to recommending, supplying and fixing of accessories and adding colours to a space.

SYNERGY: Interior Designer mostly works in collaboration with other professionals in the building, construction and design industry to achieve a goal on a specific project. For instance, a Designer who wants to achieve a certain goal with the water and lighting system of a space will need to work closely with Plumbing and Electrical Enigneers respectively. A Designer also collaborates with the Building Architect in most times. In fact, big architecure firms employ the expertise and service of Interior Designer as a consultant in some projects.

On the other hand, Decorator works only with Apprentice and Artisans he employed to fix accessories and minor furniture and fitting.

PROFESSIONAL BODIES: I agree, almost every profession and business has its own bodies/associations that regulate the activities of the professionals; but what separates each of these bodies is the membership requirements.
It takes formal education and professional examinations to become a full member of an Interior Design professional body or association like ECIA, IIDA, BIID,IFI,IDAN etc.

Interior Decorator doe not need to write any professional examination to join any association of Interior Decorators, so far his business is legal and he meets the prerequisite to join the association, which often requires only business registration documents and membership fee.

It is noteworthy to understand that while Interior Designing and Interior Decoration have few different characteristics, the two professions could be categorized under one industry: Building & Design Industry.

Till we discuss another topic, see you later.
Arrivederci!

Return to “Interior Designers and Decorators”