OIL AND GAS ACTIVITIES: MOST STUDENTS' CONFUSION

A forum for current and aspiring accountants.

Moderators: mikuz, Searider6449

Searider6449
Hot Trainee
Hot Trainee

OIL AND GAS ACTIVITIES: MOST STUDENTS' CONFUSION

Post by Searider6449 »

If you have ever written an examination on Petroleum Profit Tax (PPT) and you see words like Upstream, Midstream and Downstream Activities; you would actually confuse the first "Stream" for the last.

In my first encounter with PPT as a branch of taxation, I got confused too.

This is what they are:

- Upstream Activities: Searching for potential underground or underwater crude oil and natural gas fields, drilling exploratory wells and operating the wells to bring the crude and natural gas to the surface.

- Midstream Activities: Transportation of crude oil (either by rail, road, barge or pipeline), storage and wholesale of crude oil or refined gas.

- Downstream Activities: Refining of the Crude oil and processing/purifying the raw natural gas, distribution and marketing of the products such as Kerosene, petrol, diesel, lubricants and other petrochemical derived from the processing.

A tax student, seeing the above major sectors, may think downstream sector involves drilling of crude oil from the ground or underwater and upstream sector involves refining and marketing of the crude oil products.

Momodu AU (AAT, ACIFC, ACA, ACTI)

Maclatunji
Site Admin

Re: OIL AND GAS ACTIVITIES: MOST STUDENTS' CONFUSION

Post by Maclatunji »

A good one.

Thanks for sharing.
Send your articles for publication on via contact@opinions.ng.

My personal blog is Coolstuff49ja

Follow me on Twitter @maclatunji

Return to “Accountants”